- Standard 35cm sphere or modified spheroid surface float
- GPS based tracking
- Iridium Short Burst Data (SBD) telemetry
- Sea Surface Temperature (±0.05K accuracy)
- Sea Level Wind Speed and Direction (wind speed: 2% accuracy FS)
- Sea Level Barometric Pressure Sensor (±0.4hPa accuracy)
- Holey Sock Drogue centered at 15m depth
- Variable sampling rate down to 5 minutes
The SVPW, or Minimet drifter was designed to be air-deployed in front of tropical cyclones.The Minimet carries the same air pressure sensors of the SVPB Drifter and a sonic anemometer, the Gill Windsonic, that measures wind speeds up to 60 m s-1 with a 2% accuracy FS. The wind direction is measured with an internal compass integrated in the LDL controller and has direction accuracy of ±2.5° after calibration.
The surface buoy of the Minimet is larger than the one used for the SVPB drifter and features a wind-vane that has the purpose to stabilize the buoy in the presence of strong winds. An algorithm similar to the one installed on the SVPB drifter is used to discard the invalid anemometer data that occur, for example, when the drifter is submerged.